[CentOS] Is there a good nntp client for Centos 6 that handles SSL native?

Rock Rocksockdoc at gmail.com
Sun May 5 19:23:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, 05 May 2013 14:34:36 +0200, Markus Falb wrote:

> I think that with thunderbird you get a kind of first start setup wizard.
> *skip that* ("I think I'll configure my account later")
>
> Preferences (you *will* find that ;-) -> Account Settings -> Account Actions -> Add Other Account -> Newsgroup account
> Afterwards you can set SSL/TLS

Thanks. In the end, I'm using XPN, which, after a quick, intuitive, and
simple setup, was posting immediately with native SSL to mixmin.net.

I've learned, after testing perhaps hundreds of freeware solutions,
over the years, to try once... try again... and then quickly move on
to the next one if it fails twice. Usually, after two or three
different packages, if well chosen, the task is accomplished.

In this case...
1. I first tried Pan 0.135, which worked with stunnel - but problematically.
2. Then, I tried Thunderbird, which had a non-intuitive setup (to me).
3. I then tried Knode, which had problematic bloat & it didn't work anyway.
4. I could have learned how to compile Pan version 0.136 - but that's problematic.
5. Instead, I downloaded & executed xpn, which was simple to set up & worked!

Woo hoo!