[CentOS] CentOS 5 netinstall problem

Phil Dobbin

bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Mon May 6 09:30:31 UTC 2013

Hi, all.

I'm attempting to install CentOS 5 via netinstall from
<mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386> & it gets as far as formatting the
disk but when it gets to:

'Starting install process.
This may take take several minutes...'

it hangs forever (well, a couple of hours).

Dropping down in a console I see it's telling me:

'Preparing to install'

then nothing. 'top' shows activity for Anaconda but very little.

This is on an old Poweredge 650 with 3GB's of RAM on a secondary drive.
The primary drive has CentOS 6.4 running on it quite happily so the
hardware's up to it.

I chose to install the 'Server GUI' packages because I was curious.
Maybe herein lies my problem?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &