[CentOS] deleting Cyrus mailbox with empty name

Tilman Schmidt

t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Tue May 7 19:04:41 UTC 2013

A junior administrator of mine mistakenly created a mailbox
with an empty name, by typing into cyradm the commands:

createmailbox user/$lb
setquota user/$lb 10000

He will of course shortly receive an extra lesson on shell
variables, but meanwhile I find myself confronted with the
problem how to get rid of the mailbox he created. So far
all attempts have failed:

[cyrus at posthamster ~]$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/quota
   Quota   % Used     Used Root
                        0 user/
[...]
[cyrus at posthamster ~]$ ls -l /var/spool/imap/user/
total 2180
drwx------.  2 cyrus mail   4096 Oct  1  2012
drwx------.  2 cyrus mail   4096 May  7 08:53  10000
[...]
[cyrus at posthamster ~]$ cyradm -u cyrus localhost
IMAP Password:
localhost> sq user/$lb
localhost> dm user/$lb
deletemailbox: Permission denied
localhost> lam user/$lb
"" lrswipkxtecda
localhost> sam user/$lb cyrus all
usage: setaclmailbox mailbox id rights [id rights ...]
localhost> sam user/"" cyrus all
setaclmailbox: cyrus: lrswipkxtea: Mailbox does not exist
localhost> sam user/ cyrus all
setaclmailbox: cyrus: lrswipkxtea: Mailbox does not exist
localhost> lam user/
Mailbox does not exist
localhost> lam user/""
Mailbox does not exist
localhost> ^D
[cyrus at posthamster ~]$ ls -l /var/spool/imap/user/
total 2180
drwx------.  2 cyrus mail   4096 Oct  1  2012
drwx------.  2 cyrus mail   4096 May  7 08:53  10000
[...]

Obviously the handling of undefined variable substitution
in cyradm is somewhat inconsistent, preventing me from
deleting the mailbox the same way it was created.

Any ideas?

TIA
T.