[CentOS] Need a Centos 6 USB hard drive recovery procedure

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri May 10 14:42:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 07:03:18AM -0700, Bry8 Star wrote:

> You may try these out:
> some are able to scan entire surface and able to recover file, some
> can give you back entire FAT as well, but trial version will be
> limited with certain files only, or files-only, etc:
>
> Power Data Recovery.
> Paragon Hard Disk Manager.
> EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard.
> Active Partition Recovery.
> DataNumen Data Recovery.
> Spinrite.
> (Sometime, HBD by Hiren is also useful, but usage is allowed only if
> you really have licensed copy of those software, and care need to be
> taken from altered, rootkit based releases).
>
> Most of these are Windows based software.

Here's one I used several years ago to recover a drive I had stupidly
attempted to format while it contained a couple hundred gigs of data,
without which my son would have committed patricide...

	http://www.recoverdatatools.com/

my specific drive was either ext3 or ext4, and I had used mtools to
write a DOS filesystem onto it, but hadn't done anything else. Using
this tool I was able to recover what we believe to have been everything
important.

I had the Linux version, and I found it to be somewhat flaky, UI-wise,
but with some repeated poking at it I managed to do what I needed. I
attempted to contact their help desk but they didn't reply to any of
my emails. So, buyer beware.

They also have a windoze version that I haven't seen, and it's **possible**
that it is less flaky.

their web page says it can recover lost data from NTFS and FAT filesystems,
so it's possible it would work for you... YMMV.

	http://www.recoverdatatools.com/windows-data-recovery.html

It's non-free, but not terribly expensive. Good luck!

I'd be interested in hearing if it works for you, should you wish to
try it.

Fred

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.