[CentOS] Looking for a CentOS-friendly online backup company

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri May 10 21:41:17 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 04:16 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>>>
>> I know that it's binary compatible and that the software that works for
>> RHEL will work for CentOS. What I mean by "supported" is a company who
>> will see the host OS is CentOS and not throw up their hands and say
>> "sorry, not supported!".
>>
>> My fear is that, a year from now, something will go wrong and the
>> company we choose won't help us. We're not a backup company and we have
>> no interest in becoming one, either. So we want to find a company to
>> partner with who will see "CentOS" and still help us. So in short, this
>> is a political, not technical question.
>
> If it is somebody else's money, and that somebody else wants support,
> why aren't you pointing them to RHEL in the first place?

Because CentOS works just fine for them. They've used it going back to
CentOS 4 days without issue. Suggesting they rebuild long-in-production
servers for the sake of a backup company is not going to fly.

That it is someone else's money doesn't change my responsibility to
deliver the best bang for the buck.

--
Digimer
access to education?