[CentOS] Slightly OT: Samsung Chromebook

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu May 16 02:33:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. <
eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm glad this was posted....even if it IS OT. I was planning on getting

Yeah and now I've taken it completely off-topic (see below).

> a Chromebook, but was going to install a different OS...(I was hoping
> for either Debian or Fedora!) I don't know if either will work with the
> machine without "glitches".....

Debian
http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Samsung/ARMChromebook
http://blog.brocktice.com/2013/03/09/running-debian-wheezy-7-0-on-the-chromebook-pixel/
http://www.chromebook-linux.com/2011/11/how-to-install-gnulinux-debian-603-on.html

Fedora
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Samsung_Chromebook_2012
https://www.berrange.com/posts/2013/03/31/automated-install-of-fedora-18-arm-on-a-samsung-google-chromebook/
http://liliputing.com/2012/11/fedora-linux-runs-on-the-249-samsung-chromebook-too.html
http://www.muktware.com/4733/fedora-17-runs-google-chromebook

On many of those links (Debian+Fedora) speak of switching to Chromebook
developer mode and one of the Fedora ones it instructs to back up firmware.
 Sounds like fun.

Sort of reminds me of my idea to put Linux on an older Apple Xserve...
1.  Does Fedora/CentOS/Debian support PowerPC?  Yes
2.  Does XYZ piece of hardware work?  Maybe - I came up with a load of
maybes.

Some hardware is built to run the manufacturer's supported OS and not much
else.  ;)

> EGO II

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //