[CentOS] F18: Create a USB install of CentOS 6 from iso

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sat May 18 08:26:06 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier at aol.com> wrote:
> On 05/17/2013 11:06 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On a F18, I installed livecd-tools-18.15-1
>>

> This sounds like something you should post to the Fedora Users list.
> The problem probably lies with the F18 application, not with the CentOS
> ISO image.

Although it sounds like a F18 issue, the under lying issue (IMO) is
that it the dd of ISO image to a pen drive device does not work  with
the RHEL/CentOS installer.

Whereas with other Linux distros like the Debian / openSUSE / Ubuntu
it is possible to dd the ISO images on to a pen drive, boot from it
and complete the installation [1].

The OP is trying to use a tool which supposedly makes a
bootable/installable USB device.

Search keywords "centos create usb boot disk" throws up helpful links.
  The manual methods may the way to go to achieve the objective.

[a] <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey>
[b] <http://shivasbase.blogspot.in/2012/03/create-bootable-usb-with-centos.html>
[c] <http://thenubbyadmin.com/2012/05/04/how-to-make-a-bootable-centos-6-usb-drive/>

All of the above essentially say the same thing.

@OP please try the method outlined in above links and report your
success/failure.

[1] This is my preferred method, it eliminates need for an optical
media and burning the ISO image to a DVD.   FWIW, I have dd'd the
CentOS ISO image to a pen drive.  In the installer, choose one of the
'network' methods (http / ftp / nfs / cifs etc).  Also make sure the
CentOS DVD content is available over the network via the chosen method
(my choice http).

--
Arun Khan
Sent from my non-iphone/non-android device