[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri May 24 02:47:26 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-24, Rock <Rocksockdoc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, [url=http://androidforums.com/computers/499522-looking-
> linux-file-transfer-tool-android-4-0-devices.html]Google has apparently
> disabled USB transfer in the Android OS 4.0[/url] and above and replaced
> it with MTP file transfer.
>
> So Windows recognizes any ICS device plugged in, and Mac does too (via
> Android File Transfer);  but Centos does not.

That's a bug in Android (or perhaps just your device, since on that
thread other users report ICS does support USB mass storage), not
CentOS.  I understand that's not helpful to you, but it's good to be
clear.

I'd install an scp or sftp client on your Android and use that for file
transfer to your CentOS box, as suggested by many folks on that thread.
There are probably a bunch of clients in the Play store.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us