[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri May 24 15:27:49 UTC 2013

On 05/24/2013 11:12 AM, Rock wrote:

[snip]
> < Rant > Why the Android dev team removed USB file transfer for Linux
> users is beyond me! < /Rant >

The reason is pretty straightforward...FAT sucks.

USB Mass Storage serves up a block device in a linear layout over USB.
This shows up under Linux as a raw block device. Unless you're using a
disk-level filesystem such as OCFS2, or all mounts are read-only,
there's no way to safely have multiple filesystem drivers independently
access that disk at the same time.

MTP is the workaround for that, at least on mobile devices.

FWIW, Calibre uses MTP to push books and such to Android devices
(including my S3 and my Xoom), and it manages it reliably. Whatever
library it's using could surely be placed under a FUSE filesystem.