[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Fri May 24 16:02:39 UTC 2013

On May 24, 2013, at 8:48 AM, Rock wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:30:51 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
>> [USB] is simply not an option for main memory but an option for expansion cards.
>
> I do appreciate your explanation & apologize for my rant.
>
> So that I better understand, does that mean if I bought a microSD card,
> and stored the photos from the smartphone onto that microSD card, that
> I could then transfer those photos to the Centos laptop via a USB cable?
----
I have a Galaxy S3 but never tried but assume that it would work fine (it all depends of course if Samsung compiles the usbstorage module into the kernel).

What does indeed work is one of those OTG (On The Go) cable adapters. I bought one off Amazon for less than $2 and you can get one that is simply USB or one that handles micro SD cards. The Galaxy S3 recognized it right away and mounted automatically (I have been using various USB flash drives).

My Nexus 7 however didn't automatically recognize this OTG storage so I had to 'root' it and use a freebie called 'Stickmount' but now I have a ton of storage to use locally and of course there's the cloud.

Craig