[CentOS] Backup of large filesystems >500GB

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 16:34:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Mike Watson <mikew at crucis.net> wrote:
> > That's my problem. I hitting a file size limit with dump and tar.
>
> Reformatting is the obvious solution so you can use one of the
> rsync-based backups - but if you really had to keep the FAT format you
> could use tar  |split -b with some reasonable size for output.

+1 for reformatting and using a file system that supports large(r) files

Although not recommended...
... you could create a file with dd (that will take some time) on the NTFS
drive, and then loopback mount it and format it ext3 (or whatever you
choose).  Then mount that and go on your merry way with your rsync backups.

*Disclaimer*:  This solution is ugly and I'm almost certainly I will get
tomatoes thrown at me for suggesting it. ;)  Which includes converting
FAT32 to NTFS if you don't already have NTFS on the drive.

There are more gotchas to what I suggested than just reformatting the drive
ext3, etc and then sharing it out via Samba (or NFS) to your Windows
clients (if you need to).

> --
>    Les Mikesell
>      lesmikesell at gmail.com