[CentOS] Wireless USB adaptor recommendation

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 01:14:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Todor Petkov <zakk at online.bg> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> can someone recommend me wireless USB adaptor, which is supported in
> Centos 5.7? I found information about various chipsets, but nothing like
> "device X is OK". In most online stores the chipset is not announced.

It is tough to say X device is ok because vendors ignorantly change the
chipsets they use and still give devices the same model name/number (and if
we're lucky changing the version number...).

As Justin top-posted ;)
RTL8187 works well.  As do RT2500-based wireless chips.  Even some Zydas
chips (zd1211rw - I believe Backtrack had a patched driver for
injection) aren't all that bad (Atheros bought them [0] a while back).

Buffalo AirStation WirelessG (U2KG54) USB dongles have an RT2500 chip in
them.

[0] http://www.insidechips.com/public/6781.cfm

> Thanks in advance.

Mike