[CentOS] read-only file system when trying to save files

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 23:08:51 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Wes James <comptekki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net
> >wrote:
>

> > Am 01.11.2013 23:51, schrieb Wes James:
> > > That was it.  This is an old mac pro that I put centos on yesterday.
>  It
> > > had 4 disks in it and this is the 3rd that has died.  A faculty member
> > had
> > > it for 5-6 years and it was on 24/7.  It's been in the junk pile for
> > > several months.  I guess long enough for the disks to go south from
> > sitting
> > > on so long then going off for a period...  maybe....  Anyone heard of
> > this?

The drive was probably ready to die before that system was shut off and
stored.
It's more about the 24/7 usage (drive spinning) for that many years, power
conditioning (outages/brownouts), or environmental conditions (heat, poor
air flow, gobs of dust).

> > power down a disk which was running 6 years 24/7 and it most likely goes
> > bad
> >
> > especially Apple Hardware since this unholy crap company even built
> > in the expensive X-Server "Hitachi Deskstar" disks and sold them

Deathstar ;)

> > like gold
> >

> These are seagate barracuda 7200 rpm 750gig disks.

You should consider software raid if you want a tad of redundancy.

> -wes

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //