[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Sorin Srbu

Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Mon Nov 4 12:44:21 UTC 2013

Guys,

I was thrown a cheap OEM-server with a 120 GB SSD and 10 x 4 TB SATA-disks for
the data-backup to build a backup server. It's built around an Asus Z87-A that
seems to have problems with anything Linux unfortunately.

Anyway, BackupPC is my preferred backup-solution, so I went ahead to install
another favourite, CentOS 6.4 - and failed.

The raid controller is a Highpoint RocketRAID 2740 and its driver is suggested
to be prior to starting Anaconda by way of "ctrl-alt-f2", at which point
Anaconda freezes.

I've come so far as installing Fedora 19 and having it see all the
hard-drives, but it refuses to create any partition bigger than approx. 16 TB
with ext4.

I've never had to deal with this big raid-arrays before and am a bit stumped.

Any hints as to where to start reading up, as well as hints on how to proceed
(another motherboard, ditto raidcontroller?), would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
--
BW,
	Sorin
# Sorin Srbu, Sysadmin
# Uppsala University
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry
# Div of Org Pharm Chem
# Box 574
# SE-75123 Uppsala
# Sweden#
# Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482
# Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
# Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# This message was not sent from an iProduct!
#
# MotD follows:
# Legacy MS Tag: PATH=C:\DOS;C:\DOS\RUN;C:\WIN\CRASH\DOS;C:\ME\DEL\WIN