[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 5 21:45:57 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
<snip>
>> We have a *bunch* of d/bs. Oracle. MySQL. Postgresql. All with about a
>> week's dumps from every night, and then backups of them to the b/u
>> servers. I can't imagine how they'd be a win - don't remember just off
>> the top of my head if they're compressed or not.
>
> If the dumps aren't pre-compressed, they would be compressed on the
> backuppc side.  And if there are unchanged copies on the target hosts

Right, but
> (i.e. more than the current night's dumps) that would still be
> recognized by the rsync run as unchanged, even though backuppc is
> looking at the compressed copy.    If you already compress on the
> target host, there's not much more you can do.
>
>> A *lot* of our data is not huge text files - lots and lots of pure
>> datafiles, output from things like Matlab, R, and some local programs,
>> like the one for modeling protein folding.
>
> Anything that isn't already compressed, encrypted, or isn't strictly
> intentionally random is likely to compress 2 to 10x.  Just poking
> through the 'compression summary' on my backuppc servers, I don't see
> anything less than 55% and most of the bigger targets are closer to
> 80% compression.   One that has 50Gb of logfiles, is around 90%.

Oh, please - I see a filesystem fill up, and I start looking for what did
it so suddenly... just the other week, I had one of our interns run Matlab
and create a 35G nohup.out in his home directory... which was on the same
filesystem mine was, and I was Not Amused when that blew out the
filesystem.

Yeah, I know, we're trying to move stuff around, that's not infrequent,
given the amount of data my folks generate.

        mark