[CentOS] echo 0> /selinux/enforce

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Nov 5 22:28:46 UTC 2013

On 11/5/2013 2:15 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Wes James wrote:
>> >When does echo 0 > /selinux/inforce need to be used?  I.e., where is
>> >selinux enforcing itself on the system to protect it?  When I do yum
>> >install of some package, it seems to work (not being blocked).  When would
>> >doing something not work because selinux is watching it (or whatever that
>> >process is doing)?
>> >
> It changes selinux mode from enforcing to permissive, which means it still
> complains, but lets the processes run anyway.

the most common scenario for selinux problems is when you change default
locations for something, for instance, putting a postgresql database
cluster on a different path than /var/lib/postgresql/x.y/data, or have
users with home directories other than /home/$USER

if you do something like this and get weird errors, you can set selinux
to permissive, and see your thing works.  if so, analyze the selinux
error logs to see what corrective action you need (typically, relabeling
the unusual location for whatever it is).