[CentOS] chipsets etc to avoid for CentOS 6.x

Devin Reade

gdr at gno.org
Fri Nov 8 05:05:16 UTC 2013

It's time to purchase hardware again, and I'm going through
the usual "of that which is on the market, what will CentOS run
without leaving new hardware collecting dust for a year"?

I'm looking at a number of commodity-grade machines (ie:
desktop grade will suffice) with reasonably fast CPUs and
able to use at least 8GB each (preferably 32GB).  These will
be deployed as software development systems in run mode 3
(ie: no real graphical requirement).

Does anyone have suggestions, assuming a CentOS 6.x install,
what CPUs/chipsets, etc, to avoid? (Or alternately, which
ones still commonly on the market are fine?)

I've typically stuck to Intel CPUs, and prefer Gigabyte or Intel
motherboards.  I'd prefer to minimize the likelihood of non-working
or marginally-working hardware.

I've had a look at the supported RHEL hardware list, but they
typically just list Xeon-based machines.

Thanks in advance.

Devin