[CentOS] chipsets etc to avoid for CentOS 6.x

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Nov 8 07:00:57 UTC 2013

On 11/7/2013 9:48 PM, Arun Khan wrote:
> Gigabyte does list Linux for their boards, albeit as caveat -- an example here:
> <http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4388#sp>
>
> I would suggest select a board that has been in the market for about 6
> months.   Look up the chipset on the board and verify support for it
> in the Linux kernel.   Also, besides costing a little less it will
> most likely work with the latest incarnate of the OS.

with this years's Haswell CPUs (core i3/i5/i7-4xxx), your chipset choice
is the Z87 or its cheapened cousins, H87, Q87, H81, Q85
with last years Ivy Bridge CPUs (core i3/i5/i7-3xxx), it's the Z77, H77,
Q77, Q75 and so forth.

both of these chipset families provide SATA3 channels, USB 2.0 and 3.0
ports.
many motherboards have an additional non-intel SATA chip for more ports.
my Z77 has a partial NIC on it, but the motherboard I'm using has a
different Realtek NIC instead
many ivy bridge and haswell CPUs have onboard video supported by these
chipsets, and I believe Intel has decent video drivers for linux, but
you said you're running shell only, so that doesn't even matter

you probably don't care about sound chips.

so, its mostly the extra SATA chip, and the NIC chip you'll be concerned
with for compatibility.