[CentOS] Install to internal USB?

Lists

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Nov 8 20:57:42 UTC 2013

Saw a trick today, wondering if anybody else had done/tried this? Assume
you have a 1U rackmount with 4 front-accessed drive bays, and you want
all four bays for a 4-disk RAID5 storage.

The idea is to use an internal USB adapter and a couple of bigger USB
thumb drives to install to, RAID 1 style, freeing up all your external
drive bays. At first, I didn't think that a thumb drive would hold
enough for the O/S, but in actual production use for a file server with
14 TB of redundant storage, the OS actually uses less than 6 GB!

Here's the internal USB adapter specifically mentioned:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PODI1W

I'd be concerned about getting a higher quality drive than the $10
givaways at Staples; Anybody here ever tried this?