[CentOS] logical volume and drive names after mirroring a centos installation via rsync

Peter Peltonen peter.peltonen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 17:20:33 UTC 2013

Thanks for your reply,

My comments below:

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Now I would need to figure out how to boot to the CentOS installation on
> > server A/sdb and I would like to ask about a few details:
> >
> > - I am confused about the logical volume names: which ones should I use
> on
> > the new server's fstab, the old ones (rsynced from server B/sda) or the
> > ones I used when creating the logical volumes from server A? If I need to
> > use the new ones, should I update the names also somewhere else than
> fstab?
> >

> Yes, you need to use the new LVM device names in the /etc/fstab.

I started wondering, where are the device names stored? As I created them
from the A/sda system I started thinking that perhaps they were written
somewhere into the A/sda system and if I boot to A/sdb system they are no
longer valid...

> > - As the new installation will boot from sdb instead of sda, do I need to
> > update this information somewhere (like /boot/grub/device.map) ?
> >

> It depends are you going to remove 'sda' from the server.  In which
> case your sdb will become the sda.   You will need to install grub on
> this disk.

For now, I would like to keep both systems. At some point I might need to
boot the A/sdb system in a totally new machine (in which case the system
will be sda again...).

Regards,
Peter