[CentOS] XML to text

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 17:33:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers. And thanks to Les for understanding the
> exact problem. I had Googled before asking. And yes, I found tons of
> info, even started the W3W tutorial. I'm new to XML and it's conversions.
>
> My question was: is there anything already in Centos that handles the
> conversion.

XML is just a syntax for computer parsers - there are no standards for
what the tags mean or what to do with content.  You would need
something specific to the program that generates the file (which I
don't think you mentioned).   Or you need to use a parser as already
suggested for your favorite programming language to do something with
the content after extraction.

> Not a specific solution, but the name of a package that
> would include what I needed to do this for me. Google doesn't always
> respond with Centos-specific answers, which is which I posted to this,
> the Centos, list.
>
> I'll try and be more specific from now on so I don't ruffle feathers.
> Not sure what this list is for I guess.

The list is 'supposed' to be for things unique to Centos - which,
since it is essentially identical to RHEL should theoretically be very
little.  But, questions about the Red Hat way of doing things are
generally tolerated, as well as many off-topic things that have simple
answers.  This probably isn't the place for long discussions of
general programming problems or the choices made by upstream
developers, although sometimes those are interesting and affect you as
a Centos user.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com