[CentOS] Mysql databases from old system?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 15:55:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> Last week I had a hard disk failure on my CentOS server.
> I managed to re-install CentOS on a new disk.
> I have the old mysql databases from /var/lib/mysql .
> Can I just move them to my new disk?
>
> Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

What you are 'supposed' to do is take the backup that you make
regularly with 'mysqldump' and restore it with the mysql command line
program.    But if you are running on the same cpu type and mysql
version, moving the disk or copying the directory contents will work
(along with the things already mentioned about /etc/my.cnf and
selinux).

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com