[CentOS] CentOS as Development Laptop?

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Sat Nov 16 17:29:52 UTC 2013

On 16.11.2013 17:23, Michael B Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is CentOS good for a desktop machine?
>
> I have been using Fedora but the whole GNOME 3 debacle has me
> scrambling for something else. I have a few "minimal" CentOS servers
> but does anyone here use CentOS on their laptop?
>
> Does wireless and suspend work ok?
>
> Are there packages for the usual desktop stuff like libreoffice,
> sylpheed and so on?
>
> Machine is Toshiba Portege R935. It's about a year old so it's
> properly "aged".
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Many use CentOS on their laptops and it works fine, including wireless
and suspend (some chipsets are better supported than others I imagine).
The "vintage" aspect is more of a feature, than a bug. :-)
If interested, I maintain a desktop oriented remix here:
http://li.nux.ro/stella/

Nux!
www.nux.ro