[CentOS] maximum number of mounts

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 19 14:22:59 UTC 2013

Rita wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 1:50 AM, Mihamina RKTMB <mihamina at rktmb.org>
> wrote:
>> On 11/17/2013 08:58 PM, Rita wrote:
>> > What is the maximum number of NFS mounts per client? I have an
>> > instance where there are over 400 mount points using autofs. I was
wondering if
>> > there is a downside to that.
>>
>> Except the network load, I think you'll just have the same issues you
>> basically encounter with NFS. But, may be if you feed with actual
problems...

>> For curiosity: What's the use case of having 400 NFS mounts? Are you
>> using TCP? UDP?

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I am using TCP mounts. The reason for 400 mounts is because we have
> several hundred storage servers and use automount to mount them up.  The
data is
> scattered all over the place thus the extremely large mounts.

May I ask how *big* all those storage servers are? If you're not talking
tens of terabytes or more, you might consider a honkin' big RAID box, with
one or two servers controlling it and serving (and maybe even 10GB pipes;
gigabit pipes at a bare-bones minimum. It'd use a lot less energy, cost
less, and be lower maintenance.

For example, AC&NC sells one, holds 42 2TB drives, and cost just over $32k.

        mark "can't *imagine* how I'd know that...."*

* No, I don't work for them. Like the product.