[CentOS] CentOS LiveCD on USB

Glenn Eychaner geychaner at mac.com
Tue Nov 19 16:55:22 UTC 2013

I had already gotten rid of rghb. The grub2 entry on the key for booting the
LiveCD reads:

menuentry "CentOS 6.4 Live" {
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /CentOS-Live/isolinux/vmlinuz0 root=UUID=A352-6D7C ro liveimg nodiskmount nolvmmount selinux=disabled live_dir=/CentOS_Live/LiveOS
initrd /CentOS-Live/isolinux/initrd0.img
}

The contents of the LiveCD appear in /CentOS_Live as one would expect. The
boot fails right after a device scan (obvious by tens of lines listing "ataN:",
"scsiN:", "sd 0:0:0:0:", etc.) with the "No root device" error below.

In the rdshell, /dev/sda shows up as the internal system hard drive rather
than the USB key. The USB key does not show up as /dev/sdb nor any
other device that I can find. Finally, I looked in /dev/mapper (duh); it
contains /dev/mapper/control, but no /dev/mapper/live-rw.

Sorry for any confusion,
-G.

--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory