[CentOS] died again

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Nov 25 19:32:13 UTC 2013

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:

>> The computer is a DakTEch Freedom 4 P4 DDR System.
>> The system board is a D865GBFL w/LAN,audio & video
>> Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz 800FSB
>> I got it in 2006.
> <snip>
> It is getting long in the tooth. (I'm about to replace my m/b of the same
> vintage at home.)
>
> Interesting thought: if you go into the BIOS, there's no system event log,
> is there? That's normally a server thing, but who knows....

I've never seen anything there that looked like any kind of a log.

> I can't imagine how you killed a video card by installing a hard drive.

I suppose static.

> Next question: is the system in a room with HVAC? Have you tried opening
> it up, and vacuuming dust out of the power supply and anywhere else (like
> the video card)?

No and no.
It's in my house in a bedroom I use for an office.
Residential AC through a power strip/surge protector.

I suppose I could try dust-busting.
Might be able to do it without zapping anything.

> I remember seeing a picture online a few years ago, where someone cut open
> a power supply, and found a lizard, too large to get out....

The five year half life-someone mentioned is scary.

I'm going to be off-line for a while.
Duty calls.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily