[CentOS] died again

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Nov 27 18:05:13 UTC 2013

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Guess what?
> It died again.
>
> This time I took a look at BIOS stuff.
> Fan rpms (approximately, two of them changed):
> Processor region: 3000
> Rear:             1500
> Front:               0
> Perhaps that is my problem.
> I do have more fans lying around somewhere.
>
> The last even the BIOS logged was from 2008.
> In case it matters, the BIOS version is BF86510A.86A.0038P08 .
>
> On boot I got a message saying that the CPU was being
> throttled because it was over the temperature threshold.
> IIRC the BIOS said that the CPU area temperature was about 80 C.

BING! BING! BING!

You said you'd opened the case - did you clean the heat sink on the CPU?
Can you turn the system on with the case cover off, and see if the fan on
the CPU is running?

One thing I've never done, or thought of until now, was whether the
thermal grease between the CPU and the heat sink had dried out. If it's
running hot, that's a possibility, so you might clean that off and put on
some new (a buck or so at any computer parts store). Doesn't need much -
the force of tightening the heat sink will spread it much farther than you
expect it to, and you don't want it coming out the sides.

        mark