[CentOS] Weird netinstall issue

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 1 08:16:35 UTC 2013

hello john,

On 10/01/2013 02:20 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/30/2013 11:49 PM, g wrote:
>> 1st, i would not consider a net install unless i was protected by going
>> thru a good firewall server.
>>

> a DHCP/PXE server isnt going to reply to internet queries, and your TFTP
> server should be restricted to local addresses only, this pretty much
> secures a netinstall.    the rest?  I use a http server with a copy of the
> OS mirror, who cares if the internet can see it?
>
>> as for 'no CD in drive', possible reason is something is being picked off
>> cd and drive is slow waking up and install is not allowing enough time.
>
> indeed, the 'minimal' install ISO is hardly any bigger than the netinstall
> ISO, and is less hassle... after doing the minimal install, you can `yum
> groupinstall` anything else you need.  The only time I use netinstall is
> when I'm doing a full jumpstart/kickstart style install via PXE.

thanks for your reply to my post.

5 things that i am aware of;

1 - DHCP - aware of, know a little about.

2 - PXE  - aware of, know a little about.

3 - netinstall - aware of, never used, never read about.

4 - loving linux from day 1 with slackware and stack of disk.

5 - retired - no longer need to worry about 1, 2, 3, as i now install
     only my own and friends personal systems and glad of it. ((GBWG))

this past weekend, i pulled centos so i can get out from under what i am
currently using.

ran a default install, which has been a pita to set up because default is
gnome, which i do not really care for.

from all that i have had to go thru trying to get kde going, it looks like
i will try again to see if centos will install kde instead of gnome.

if not, i hope you and some of the other more serious posters on this list
can/will pull me thru.

thanks again.

later.

--