[CentOS] Partitionable Raid

Billy Crook bcrook at riskanalytics.com
Tue Oct 1 23:20:48 UTC 2013

If sda fails outright, sdb will BECOME sda. This is usually the case
when a "drive fails".

If sda is skillfully overwritten in specific places with the intention
of producing a curcumstance in which Linux kernel raid will fail, then
Linux kernel raid will fail.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Eugenio Pacheco
<eugeniopacheco at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After reading the tutorial at
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Install_On_Partitionable_RAID1 I have the
> following question:
>
> What should I put instead of
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> and
>
>         root (hd0,0)
>
> on /etc/grub.conf? Should I leave those lines untouched? If so, how would
> grub know where to boot from if /dev/sda fails?
>
> Or I would need to swap the drives in order to boot properly and then put a
> new one as /dev/sdb and then add it to the array?
>
> Thanks in advance for all the help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Eugenio Pacheco

Billy Crook • Network and Security Administrator • RiskAnalytics, LLC