[CentOS] Samba problem

Anthony K akcentos at anroet.com
Sat Oct 5 08:53:59 UTC 2013

On 05/10/13 05:11, Joseph Hesse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to learn how to use Samba.  I first just want to get it to
> work, then I'll make it better.
> I am not concerned about security since everything is on a private network.
> I am following the material in "CentOS 6 Linux Server Cookbook" by
> Jonathan Hobson.
> I am using two virtual computers with Virtual Box running on Fedora 19.
> Both virtual computers have bridged networking.
> One virtual computer is Win7, the other is CentOS 6.4.
> They are both up to date. There is only one user, "admin", on the CentOS
> virtual computer.
>
> The Win7 computer can successfully ping the CentOS computer.
>
> My Win7 computer can not see the share on the Samba server.

On some Windows 7 systems (not all in my experience), you'll need to
adjust the LAN Manager authentication level.  To do this,
1. Launch *gpedit.msc*
2. Then under *Computer Management* drill down to *Windows
Settings*->*Security Settings*->*Local Policies*->*Security Options*
3. On the right hand side, scroll down to *Network security: LAN Manager
authentication level* and double-click it
4. In the drop down, select *Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
security if negotiated*

I'm not sure sure what exactly causes some *just-built* Windows 7 PC's
to require this setting.  For instance, on the network I manage, I'd say
that 30% of just-built Windows 7 PC's require this settings while others
function just fine when it is left as *Not Defined*!

Hope that helps you!

ak.