[CentOS] CENTOS 5 incoming SFTP

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 21:23:14 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM, John McKelvey <jmmckel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello...
>
> OK, I have been checking...  NSLOOKUP ... sees the linux box...  Linux box
> can ping all other boxes on the LAN (they are all windows) as well as
> internet.
>
> With firewalls off on both any windows box as well as firewall off on linux
> box it can not be pinged, much less move files or log on from any of the
> lAN's windows boxes.  SSHD is running on linux box.  Port 22 is open for
> TCP in IPTABLES.

Is everything on the same subnet or is there some router/firewall
device between the linux and windows boxes?  It doesn't make much
sense to be able to ping one direction but not the other without some
firewall in the way.   It also doesn't make sense to say your
'firewall is off' in linux and then talk about ports being open in
iptables.   If your firewall is off, you should just see a policy of
ACCEPT in iptables and nothing about ports.

In any case, if you run tcpdump you should be able to see if the ping
packets are reaching the linux box (or tcp port 22 for ssh).   If you
see packets arriving at the interface but nothing responds, it is
probably iptables blocking them.  If the packets you send don't arrive
at all, something external is blocking them.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com