[CentOS] Sendmail not presenting AUTH option after EHLO

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Oct 9 16:24:10 UTC 2013

Am 09.10.2013 16:17, schrieb Chris Boyd:

> On Oct 9, 2013, at 3:33 AM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>>> Make sure you have the sendmail-cf package installed,
>>> else the .cf files can't be rebuild based on modified .mc files. Make
>>> too sure that you have the necessary cyrus-* packages installed.
>
> Yes, got those.
>
> [root at pennzoil mail]# yum list installed | grep sendmail
> sendmail.x86_64                      8.14.4-8.el6                     @base
> sendmail-cf.noarch                   8.14.4-8.el6                     @base
> sendmail-milter.x86_64               8.14.4-8.el6                     @base
>
> [root at pennzoil mail]# yum list installed | grep cyrus
> cyrus-sasl.x86_64                    2.1.23-13.el6_3.1                @updates
> cyrus-sasl-lib.x86_64                2.1.23-13.el6_3.1                @updates

You miss at least to have cyrus-sasl-plain.

>> FEATURE(`no_default_msa', `dnl')dnl
>>   -> this is default in the sendmail.mc shipped with CentOS
>>
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
>>   -> this is commented out with a leading dnl in default sendmail.mc
>>      the important part is the modifier "M=Ea": the "a" bit enforces the
>> requirement for AUTH on the MSA (port 587)
>
> Yes, I have those lines enabled as well.  I can connect SSL to 587, but just not getting the AUTH capability.

On localhost port 587 really Sendmail is listening? I doubt! It is
Postfix. Sendmail would have a different greeting statement than

250-pennzoil.gizmopartners.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to
meet you

On CentOS 6 the default MTA is Postfix. You can change that by using the
alternatives mechanism, stopping the postfix service and starting the
sendmail service. You haven't followed your /var/log/mail, else you
would have seen what's happening.

> --Chris

Alexander