[CentOS] Firewall/Gateway Hardware Question

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 22:05:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are running 51 ipsec vpns on an Atom D510 at 1.66ghz and the load
> average is .07.

@Steve:
Based on your statement, I figure you do not have a crypto accelerator and
the CPU is handling all the crypto.  Correct?

@Terre:
I don't know how VIA C7 CPUs stack up against the Intel Atom CPUs in terms
of performance, but they're low power consuming x86 processors.  And
there's the VIA Padlock [0] security/encryption engine.

AMD Geode CPUs like those in PC Engines ALIX [1] hardware have an
integrated crypto accelerator [2].  If it wasn't for your web proxy
requirements, etc an ALIX might fit the bill (with the right embedded OS -
think Voyage Linux). You're better off with the hardware you're researching
right now though.

[0] http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/padlock/hardware.jsp
[1] http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm
[2] http://www.twam.info/hardware/alix/using-geodes-aes-engine-on-alix3d3

> HTH,
> Steve
>
> On 10/15/2013 02:13 PM, Terre Porter wrote:
> > I've not worked with Atom processors but I'll look in to it.
> >
> > Thanks for the info.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //