[CentOS] 3rd party repositories

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 03:22:40 UTC 2013

On 10/18/2013 11:05 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 1:52 PM, isdtor wrote:
>> Can anyone comment on the use of 3rd party repos for newer versions of
>> software like php, python and mysql? Two I am aware of are puias and ius.
> note that there is now a php5.3 in the base repository, I believe it was
> part of the 6.4 update, its called php53.  I would use this over a 3rd
> party packaged version unless there's an overriding reason you need a
> different build.

Also, isn't there a way to download the packages / apps that you want
directly from the homepage? for instance Debian didn't come with the
latest version of LibreOffice, so my friend just went to the LibreOffice
site and downloaded and installed the latest version. Not sure if this
is the same with .rpm based distros but I don't see why not? This would
also allow you to be "selective" and use / install JUST the packages you
need or want without dealing with changing or messing with your repos.

EGO II