[CentOS] 3rd party repositories

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Oct 19 03:47:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-19, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. <eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, isn't there a way to download the packages / apps that you want
> directly from the homepage?

Sure, but this can be time-consuming, not every software package
provides a suitable rpm, and even if they do, you still need to install
the dependencies yourself, because rpm will just tell you they're
missing, not find and install them.  A yum repo is more automated and
convenient if one carries the software you want.

> This would
> also allow you to be "selective" and use / install JUST the packages you
> need or want without dealing with changing or messing with your repos.

You can always be selective about what software packages you install, no
matter how many third-party repositories you use.  The challenge with
other repos is that they may provide conflicting packages, but you
should be selective about which repos you install in order to minimize
problems.

The CentOS wiki has an entry about third party repositories:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

I have successfully used rpmforge, EPEL, and ELRepo (specifically
elrepo-kernel).

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us