[CentOS] baby blue screen of permanent death

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 01:14:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 04:24:08PM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> What is the incantation to get a text view of the start up
> so that I can get a hint of what CentOS is waiting for?

To view the startup, when you boot, hit any key, then hit e as in edit (I
think--otherwise, just use the arrow key to get down to the line beginning
with Linux and when you highlight that line hit e to edit.

At the end of that line you will see rhgb quiet.  Remove those two words,
hit enter, which should take you back the main menu, and then hit b for
boot.  (I'm doing this from memory, but I think there are instructions on
the screen once you get to the e for edit part.

That will give you text, at least for awhile.  However, if you boot into
GUI mode, you will also have to change /etc/inittab, where it says
id:5:default---change the 5 to a 3, which will boot into text mode
and end at a login prompt.  Once you log in, you can type startx to start
the GUI.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6