[CentOS] htdocs on NFS share / any pitfalls?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Oct 23 01:33:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-22, Carl T. Miller <carl at carltm.com> wrote:

> If I needed to serve files from an nfs share, I'd use
> rsync to pull down a local copy of the files to the
> webserver.  This would give you the benefits of using
> the nfs location without the network latency.

That's not serving files from an NFS share, that's serving files from a
local mirror of an NFS share.  It may not seem like much, but it is an
important distinction: perhaps the OP has a user who can modify the NFS
files directly but for whatever reason is not authorized to modify the
local directory.  As a result the user either needs to bother the sysadmin
for every change, or the sysadmin needs to set up a cron job to do the
rsync, or needs some other way of keeping the directory synchronized.
It's possible that none of these configurations is acceptable to the OP,
which is why he moved to serving them directly off of NFS.

There are many other reasons why the OP may wish to serve off of NFS:
perhaps the directory became too big for the web server, for example.
Your idea is a good one, but the OP will need to either verify that it's
workable or explain in what way it's not.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us