[CentOS] baby blue screen of permanent death

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Thu Oct 24 10:41:57 UTC 2013

On 10/23/2013 12:01 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
>> To view the startup, when you boot, hit any key, then hit e as in edit (I
>> think--otherwise, just use the arrow key to get down to the line beginning
>> with Linux and when you highlight that line hit e to edit.
>>
>> At the end of that line you will see rhgb quiet.  Remove those two words,
>> hit enter, which should take you back the main menu, and then hit b for
>> boot.  (I'm doing this from memory, but I think there are instructions on
>> the screen once you get to the e for edit part.
> Here is the last bit of the startup output, copied by hand:
> Starting  abrt daemon    OK
> user had insufficient privilege
> Starting  crond    OK
> Starting  atd    OK
> Starting  virt-who    OK
> Starting  libvird daemon    OK
> Bridge firewalling registered
> tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver 1.6
> tun: (C) 1994-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk at qualcomm.com>
> device virb0-nic entered promiscous mode
> virb0: starting userspace STP failed, starting kernel STP
> Ebtable v20 registered
> lo: Disabled Provacy Extensions
> _
>

> At that point the watch mouse cursor appeared.
> The text stayed.
> After going back and forth between virtual erminals,
> the mouse cursor was gone.
>
> Does this help with diagnosis?

Have you looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log file - it sounds like there is a problem with X.

Also someone mentioned editing /etc/inittab and setting the run level to 3.
id:5:initdefault:  - change the 5 to a 3.
  If it boots
to a non-gui login prompt then the problem is definitely X related.

HTH,
Steve

--
Stephen Clark