[CentOS] top command

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Oct 24 12:46:25 UTC 2013

On 24/10/2013 13:29, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net> wrote:
>
>> On 24/10/2013 12:20, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running CentOS 6.4 on a remote server. when i run the below command,
>>> it prints out the headers too. is there a way to remove headers using the
>>> below command line
>>>
>>> *top -b -p 22657 > topcpu.txt*
>>>
>>>   Perhaps the 'ps' command in a sleep 3 loop is more suited for what
>> you're looking for?
>>

> Hi Giles,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. Any example for ps command as per your advice?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaushal

If you're looking for CPU usage examine the output of:

  ps -p 22657 --no-headers -o "%C"

If that is what you're looking for then stick it in a bash script loop
that repeats the command at your required frequency (hint: use "sleep"
to pause a few seconds and check the ps manual page for other output
(e.g. memory usage) that you might also want.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd