[CentOS] ZFS on Linux in production?

Lists

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Thu Oct 24 20:41:17 UTC 2013

We are a CentOS shop, and have the lucky, fortunate problem of having
ever-increasing amounts of data to manage. EXT3/4 becomes tough to
manage when you start climbing, especially when you have to upgrade, so
we're contemplating switching to ZFS.

As of last spring, it appears that ZFS On Linux http://zfsonlinux.org/
calls itself production ready despite a version number of 0.6.2, and
being acknowledged as unstable on 32 bit systems.

However, given the need to do backups, zfs send sounds like a godsend
over rsync which is running into scaling problems of its own. (EG:
Nightly backups are being threatened by the possibility of taking over
24 hours per backup)

Was wondering if anybody here could weigh in with real-life experience?
Performance/scalability?

-Ben

PS: I joined their mailing list recently, will be watching there as
well. We will, of course, be testing for a while before "making the
switch".