[CentOS] ZFS on Linux in production?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Oct 24 22:27:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-24, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
>
>> We are a CentOS shop, and have the lucky, fortunate problem of having
>> ever-increasing amounts of data to manage. EXT3/4 becomes tough to
>> manage when you start climbing, especially when you have to upgrade, so
>> we're contemplating switching to ZFS.
>
> You didn't mention XFS.
> Just curious if you considered it or not.

XFS is better than ext3/4 for many applications, but it's still not as
powerful as ZFS, which basically combines RAID, filesystem, and LVM into
one.  It sounds like the OP is really looking to take advantage of the
extra features of ZFS.

>> Was wondering if anybody here could weigh in with real-life experience?

I don't have my own, but I have heard of other shops which have had lots
of success with ZFS on OpenSolaris and their variants.  I know of some
places which are starting to put ZFS on linux into testing or
preproduction, but nothing really extensive yet.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us