[CentOS] which kernel do people use?

Lists lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Oct 25 17:05:57 UTC 2013

On 10/25/2013 04:38 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> interesting datapoint for HDD vs SSD, but what about kernel versions?
> When using SSDs, did you need to use 3.8+ kernels as suggested in the
> quoted post, or do you use stock? thanks

I've taken some flack for being off-topic regards my comments on SSDs,
though it would seem relevant to know that we're using Stock CentOS
kernel, and that we aren't using trim because the performance increase
was so much improved over spinning disks that we didn't seem to need it.
Our use case is a worst-case read/write scenario. The SSD partitions we
use for the DB servers are mirrored software RAID1, which, to my
understanding, makes the use of trim impossible.

Where we've had performance problems we've always found something else
to be the bottle neck, typically a poorly constructed query. (PostgreSQL
really, REALLY hates left outer joins)

It's possible that we could eek out more performance with a suggested
kernel update. If/when we do performance testing on that front, I'll
make it a point to submit my results.