[CentOS] baby blue screen of permanent death

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Oct 27 04:55:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Rob Kampen wrote:

> On 10/27/2013 07:03 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> Absent other ideas, I might try re-installing CentOS or re-installing X.
>> I have a pretty good idea how to do the former,
>> but the latter might be harder despite, in principle, being less intrusive.
>>
>> My understand is that unistalling X will
>> normally take all its dependents will it.
>> That means That I will have to re-install said dependents,
>> possibly listing each one separately.
>> My thought is to /usr/bin/script yum's output into a file.
>> I'd use the file to produce another yum commmand to reinstall X's
>> dependents.
>> Does that seem like a good plan?

> Way too much work.
> Why not yum reinstall <package names>
> That will ensure that all package contents are correctly installed......??

Would
yum reinstall X
reinstall X's dependents?
If not, I still need the list of package names that depend on X.
Telling yum, at least tentatively,
to remove X would seem to be the simplest way.

I really do not want to do any more experiments than I have to.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily