[CentOS] How should I reinstall CentOS?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Oct 29 20:47:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Most repositories will have a 'name-release.rpm' where name is the
> name of the repository.   This will install the entry under
> /etc/yum/repos.d and set up the gpg key for the rpms.  If you have a
> URL to the repo release rpm, yum can install for you  with:
> yum install URL

Thank you.  That is likely to be useful.

> However, note that your current problem may be related to something
> you've pulled from a 3rd party repository so you should avoid blindly
> repeating the process.   I'd install/update the package list from the

My system had been running for a while without my adding anything new.
My expectation is that something glitched and changed something in a
manner that had gdb waiting for something that will never happen.
I'll never know.
I'm not willing to put in another week of
effort out of a probably vain hope of discovery.

One change I will make is that I will install and use priorities sooner.

> base repositories first, then add EPEL and others with a policy of not
> overwriting base packages and make sure everything works before
> installing anything from repos that may overwrite any base packages.
> I normally keep any in the latter category set as 'enabled = 0' in the
> repo file and use --enablerepo= on the yum command line when I want
> something from them.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily