[CentOS] How should I reinstall CentOS?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 02:55:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>>> Yes you can use a local copy of the rpm and either 'rpm -Uhv' it or
>> 'yum localinstall' it.
>> or:
>
> I should have been more clear:
> Are the above .rpm's repository install rpm's?
>
> I was hoping someone could tell me for sure.

Yes.   They will install an entry under /etc/yum/repos.d with default
settings that you may want to edit before using if you want to set
priorities or leave it disabled.   If you want to check the contents
of an rpm before installing, you can use: rpm -qp --list filename.

>> If you have the http URL that you used to download the rpm manually,
>> you can just 'yum install URL".  Older versions of yum could not do
>> that so the documentation may not mention the simple approach.
>
> I do not.
> I started at the base urls given in .repo files and
> started looking for files that had the right names.

When you find the name, you've found the URL to get it...   Most
browsers would have a right-mouse, 'copy link' menu option to put the
URL on the clipboard to paste elsewhere.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com