[CentOS] MySQL 5.5, PHP and other tools still use 5.0 client drivers

Matthew B. Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Wed Oct 30 16:31:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-30 at 11:22 +0100, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 29.10.2013 um 22:56 schrieb Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:
> >> php-mysql is linked against mysql-5.0-libs and talking to
> >> a mysql-5.5 server. Should this cause an unpredictable behavior?
> >
> > no - how do you come to this idea?
>
> In the last decade i saw very strange results while updating
> or doing similar things. the question above is more a theoretical
> thought despite the rational knowledge that in this example
> (communication-layer) the compatibility is preserved.

I have always tried to keep the client libraries in sync with the
database in my own code.  I was surprised that the upstream builders had
mixed the 5.0 client with the 5.5 data base.  I know of cases where
library developers will provide for compatibility with various versions
of protocols.  It looks to me like this is one of those cases.

We are using Perl and PHP with MySQL, and both seem to work with the 5.0
client library on the 5.5 database.

Besides the usual tests like create a new web page, delete a web page,
edit a page, etc, we pointed a spider that is part of burp suite at the
web site on a development system.  The web site is several thousand
pages, some are PHP with parts that are pulled from an upgraded mysql
5.5 data base and others are flat files.  Burp suite has been running
for several hours and every thing looks good so far.

I think this weekend, we will start moving production servers from
CentOS 5.9 to 5.10 and from MySQL 5.0 to 5.5.

Matt