[CentOS] elrepo kmod-sk98lin.i686

Steve Brooks steveb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue Sep 3 13:02:08 UTC 2013

> You don't actually need hwaddr in your ifcfg-* files -- though it's
> probably not a bad thing to have the MAC in there.  [As Scott pointed out,
> it's all about what udev has in its rules.]
>

>> You also have to look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>

> +1
> Yes, udev rules for network devices needs modified.
>

>> (Learned that after cloning some VMs, where the hardware address was
>> wrong.)
>>

> And I did too after cloning a physical machine to newer hardware.  ;-)

I am using "centos 5" and it seems the "udev" cam in with e16 ... So can't
go that way..

Something else to bother me is that lspci reports the ethernet device
correctly. "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001" but the "ifcfg-eth0"

# head -3  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

# D-Link System Inc DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes

# ethtool -i eth0

driver: skge
version: 1.6

So it seems it is using the correct driver for "88E8001"

Steve