[CentOS] Getting a do_IRQ: xx.xxx No irq handler for vector (irq -1), any ideas?

Steve Brooks steveb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 17:31:03 UTC 2013

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Howard Leadmon wrote:

> I setup a CentOS 6 server to use with KVM/QEMU, and I am getting the
> following error a good bit, granted it doesn't seem to be causing any
> trouble.   I figured I would post and see if anyone has any ideas on the
> issue, or if I can just dismiss it.
>
> If I look at my logging/dmesg, I see:
> do_IRQ: 18.201 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
>
> The machine is an HP ProLiant DL580-G5 series with 4x Xeon hexacore
> processors installed, along with 32G of RAM at this time.  I am happy to
> post more dmesg output if it's of any help.
>
> Kernel version is:  2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64

I had this too.. Found this from googling

https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/110053

Re: No irq handler for vector CentOS 6.4

Stop irqbalance

The message can appear when IRQs are moved between CPU cores. We can stop
the irqbalance service moving IRQs by turning it off with:

         chkconfig irqbalance off
         service irqbalance stop

Note that this will result in all interrupt requests being handled by a
single CPU core, which may be detrimental to performance.