[CentOS] mouse "stuck"

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 19:32:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2013, Robert Nichols wrote:
>
>> On 09/08/2013 12:31 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>> Sommetimes, for no apparent reason, my mouse cursor will become
>>> four arrows and suddenly I cannot do anything with my desktop.
>>> I can move the cursor and that is it.
>
> I could use cntrl-alt-backspace to kill the session,
> but that seems too much like giving up.
> This has happened to me before.
> I'd like a different solution.

Did you try unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in?  (Obviously,
if wireless USB, unplug the receiver)

If you have gpm running for console mouse services, try restarting (or
just plain stopping) that.  It hasn't happened to me for a long time,
but at one point for me gpm was occasionally getting into a bad state
and turning off the mouse device, which would cause the X server to
lose track of it as well.