[CentOS] large SCSI RAID, replacing server

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Sep 10 17:47:18 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| On 9/10/2013 10:23 AM, Joseph Spenner wrote:
| > But is there a way to stage the new system so all I need to do is
| > move the RAID from the old system to the new system?
| > Or do I need to do anything at all?
| > I'm not sure if the existing system has some special packages which
| > make it able to use those large partitions.  It doesn't appear to
| > have 'parted' installed.
|
| what kind of raid is this?   hardware, mdraid, what?    if hardware
| raid, then what sort of hardware raid controller, and does that
| controller support moving volumes between systems?
|
| are both systems totally identical hardware? in that case, I'd simply
| move ALL the disks, including the system volume.

I agree here.  Looking at the future, consider e2label to assign or change a label on an ext2/3/4 file system or xfs_admin -L <label> /dev/sdc1 for XFS and then move to using file system labels instead.  It will avoid the device enumeration problems discussed earlier.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw